I had a lovely dinner the other night with some friends at Black Cyprus. I had the scallops with bacon and cabbage - yum. Jennifer had the braised Chicken with Kale and croutons which looked so good I thought I'd try to reproduce it at home. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast because that's what I had, but it would be better with a bone in skin on breast or thigh. (Remember when I knocked off their braised kale appetizer?)
Here's what I did:
First I made homemade croutons. Easy peasy - you don't need me to tell you how to do that, do you? I think you really need to use good bread for these. They are yummy all by themselves, so watch out for little fingers taking them.
Chop and wash your kale
I got out my trusty braising pan. If you don't have one, use whatever oven-safe pan you have or you'll have to use a skillet and baking dish. But I say - go buy a braising pan, you'll be glad you did. I love mine. Heat oven to 325 if you are using a covered braising pan, 350 if not. I think the braising pan retains more heat - that's why.
1) Generously salt & pepper chicken (don't be skimpy with the salt) add some french thyme
2) Heat pan with olive oil until the oil is shimmery (med-hi heat)
3) Saute breast until golden (only turn once) - they won't be done on the inside, that's ok.
4) Take out the chicken, put in as much garlic as you like, stirring quickly so it doesn't burn.
5) Thrown in your kale (drained and dry) and quickly stir to cover with the garlic.
Would you like to see a picture?
7( Put the chicken back in on top of the kale, cover and cook for about 30 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken)
8) When to put in the croutons? I added them at the last few minutes and put the pan back in the oven for a little longer.
The croutons came out a mix of soggy and crispy. If you like crispy, don't put them in the pan. If you like soggy, push them down in the liquid. Brian & I like the combination of both. The kids did not like the soggy ones.
All in all, a meal I'd make again, even for company.
Tuesday Dose of Cute: Rooster Thinking
4 hours ago